There was an error in this gadget

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Just saw my first copy of Einstein's Trunk

We've probably all had this experience at one time or another in regards something we've accomplished, but I must admit that seeing my first book in print for the first time was special. But moving on, I am acutely aware that it is my first book, and I have not yet reached the pinnacle of literary prowess or success.

Just recently, I read John LeCarre's first book "Call for the Dead" written in 1961. The reviews at the time referred to it as "brilliant, suspenseful, thrilling..." As I read the book I could see flashes of the John LeCarre I came to greatly admire in "Tinker Tailor, Soldier, Spy" and "Smiley's People", but I could see that Mr. LeCarre still was working out his style in his first book. And so it is with me in Einstein's Trunk. I tried a different style in my "Russia chapter" in the beginning and then moved to a more casual style when Rulon was the primary subject - trying to capture Rulon's easy-going, Idaho rancher's nature. I believe, it wasn't until John LeCarre's third book - The Spy Who Came in from the Cold" that he truly 'broke out" as a writer. In any case, if after reading Einstein's Trunk, if anyone has feedback on the style, good or bad, I would appreciate hearing their opinion.

Next posting will be on why I have humor in my book - after all, aren't thrillers supposed to be about serious people doing serious things like saving the world?

Best regards,

Jim
Zurich, March 21, 2011

No comments: