Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Just saw my first copy of Einstein's Trunk

We've probably all had this experience at one time or another in regards something we've accomplished, but I must admit that seeing my first book in print for the first time was special. But moving on, I am acutely aware that it is my first book, and I have not yet reached the pinnacle of literary prowess or success.

Just recently, I read John LeCarre's first book "Call for the Dead" written in 1961. The reviews at the time referred to it as "brilliant, suspenseful, thrilling..." As I read the book I could see flashes of the John LeCarre I came to greatly admire in "Tinker Tailor, Soldier, Spy" and "Smiley's People", but I could see that Mr. LeCarre still was working out his style in his first book. And so it is with me in Einstein's Trunk. I tried a different style in my "Russia chapter" in the beginning and then moved to a more casual style when Rulon was the primary subject - trying to capture Rulon's easy-going, Idaho rancher's nature. I believe, it wasn't until John LeCarre's third book - The Spy Who Came in from the Cold" that he truly 'broke out" as a writer. In any case, if after reading Einstein's Trunk, if anyone has feedback on the style, good or bad, I would appreciate hearing their opinion.

Next posting will be on why I have humor in my book - after all, aren't thrillers supposed to be about serious people doing serious things like saving the world?

Best regards,

Jim
Zurich, March 21, 2011

No comments: